This week is mental health awareness week. This is a cause that Prince’s William and Harry have been happy to help promote, in a bid to help remove the stigma of mental health issues.
Your self-confidence and self-esteem are an important part of your overall emotional wellbeing and mental health. Therefore, every day remind yourself how good is feels being you. Look at Thomas Markle. This poor man is turning himself inside out because he clearly doesn’t feel good enough. This is really sad as genuinely nice people will never make you feel inferior or not good enough.
Once you learn to feel comfortable being you, you’ll feel less angst and more confident. I’m not suggesting this will fix all and every mental health problem, but it’s a good starting point for your overall emotional wellbeing. Never think it’s ok to dumb yourself down in any way. It’s not!
“When you talk about something you have less reason to fear it”. Those were Prince William’s words about mental health; and he’s so right. If you’re feeling any kind of angst, low self-esteem or lack of confidence – give it an airing.
Here are nine good reasons why it’s ok (and perhaps, even, important) to embrace the real you:
1. There is and only ever will be one you
2. The features that make you unique are what others are drawn to. Never apologise for being you
3. Others are role modes for you, and you’ll be the inspiration for others (win/win)
4. Quirky, fun, serious, happy, sad, emotional etc – you’re lots of different emotions, and each element of you appeals to someone
5. When you embrace being you others find it easy to love you too
6. The only person you’re truly accountable to is you
7. Know that it’s ok to make mistakes or do silly things. This is one of the ways in which we learn and grow
8. Once you tackle your inner critic it loses its power
9. Develop a healthy self-respect. This will help you to respect others as they are, and be respected by others
Now ask yourself “how would I feel if I stopped caring what others think of me? Who would I become?” Close your eyes for a moment or two and capture this picture in your mind. Now tell yourself this is who you really are, and you’re just as you’re meant to be.
And finally… “Nothing you can do to me could take away my right to feel beautiful” (song lyrics by Fantasia). This song is all about standing back up and loving yourself first when others try to knock you down.
Whether it’s a temporary blip or something more long-term I hope you’ll allow yourself to love the person you are. If you’d like a helping hand to build your self-confidence or self-esteem then please take a look at The Self-confidence Academy. My personal gift to you is free and unconditional access to the first programme in the series. Here’s the link – http://bit.ly/2mlYfl7.
Until the next time…